Thursday, December 9, 2010

What a long strange trip its been ...

"Sometimes the lights are all shining on me ... Other times I can barely see ... Lately, it occurs to me, what a long strange trip its been" - Truckin'

I guess that would be a great summation of 2010, but I also think its a good description for my whirlwind tour to London. Amazing trip, great to see everyone and blessed with some beautiful snow / scenery. Some things from the trip:
  • Snow in London is beautiful. Never really had much when I lived there but got to experience a ton of it on this trip.
  • Reindeer is really good -- yeah, sorry Rudolph. Maybe Santa should start selling off his Reindeer and upgrade to a G5.
  • Crunchie bars are a gift from God. So are Gellato Sundae's at Harrods.
  • No matter how many times I do it, a walk across London on a cold weekday morning is still an amazing and educational experience.
  • If your in a great mood and just appreciate everything around you, its not cold or hot outside -- its perfect. That's pretty much the best way to sum up the trip -- Everything that I needed.
  • The London / English Countryside is the place to be. I'd move there, but let's be honest, without College Football, Best Buy and a few other modern conveniences, I'd go crazy again.
  • I've fallen for overland trains and really wish we had them in Atlanta. Not having to worry about a designated driver is a very nice thing.
  • English dinner parties are a wonderful time. Maybe it's because I only understand every third word, but they are a great way to spend an evening.
  • It's great to have friends from another part of the world -- they open your eyes to new things and keep you grounded. If you don't have one, go get a pen pal ...
There aren't enough words to thank my European friends for the last week. It was an amazing time and I'm blessed to have such great friends who will give you a hard time and provide you with the tough love that we all need. While I'm not sure I'll move back any time soon, I'm happy to know I have a second family that I get to see a few times a year.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays you Muppets!

No comments:

Post a Comment