Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The RNC

Normally, I"d go all political, and I still might, but over the last couple of days, I've had to watch the Republican National Convention from Tampa. I'm not allowed to disclose why, but for work, I've been glued to the TV to watch all of the craziness and fun that took place at the RNC.  Here are few things I took away:

  • Need to serve more alcohol -- just didn't look like these kids were drunk enough 
  • If your going to have 3 Doors Down perform, then Nickleback is an absolute must 
  • And what's up with entertainment at the conventions? Both parties usually roll out a series of bands that might have been (big might there) relevant 20 years ago. Otherwise, you get a Nickelback cover band playing the Four Seasons.  
  • The speeches ... were speeches. I know my dad loved them (pretty sure my sister hated them) which means they hit home to the Republican target audience.  You can go ahead and say the opposite is true next week. 
  • And staying totally out of politics, but the media coverage was abhorrent.  I watched NBC, ABC, CNN, FOX, CNBC and Comedy Central and aside from the later, the nicest thing I can say about the former is that they are all a steaming pile of dog shit. Aside from a couple of clever pundits (Carville, Stewart and Gergen), the remarks by most were so far to the left (or the right) that it was hard to watch. I found it difficult to get anything out of the post coverage because it was more like watching some drunk teenagers fight over a cell phone -- nagging, arguing, trying to determine what the word "we" meant creating a number of racial and gender remarks. Sad to say but David Gergen and James Carville made the most sense out of everyone that  I watched.   
  • They should really consider sports figures to do some of the speeches. Nothing that I saw last night motivated me to get all fired up and I know none of the speeches next week will do the same. All are hot air and empty ramblings about how each other sucks.  I long for the day when we have some real leaders, who will give real speeches and offer solutions to issues rather than point fingers or act holier than though.  And ... I long for the day when we the media removes its heads from its ass and realizes that their ratings are plummeting b/c they commentary is complete crap.  
So ... enough of that soapbox and be on the lookout from the Democratic convention.  I promise to keep it less political and more focused on the terrible news reporting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment