Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The London Riots

I've been fixated by the London riots because I'm concerned for my friends as well as I once lived in that lovely little village by the river.  The scenes are appalling and it just makes me think what would happen here if these riots broke out.

Through all of this, I'm amazed by the way the English leaders have stepped up (or so it appears from this side of the pond). Like them or not, at least they are vocal and working through the issues. I mean, our economy collasped (once again) yesterday and our Congressional douche bags are on vacation, while the puppet in charge is blaming everyone behind a podium without taking questions.

David Gergen (CNN) wrote a great piece yesterday (link) about how we need leadership like Winston Churchill but we just don't have it -- well, that's more of my take on the article. But the fact is that in a time of crisis, Churchill rallied his people to get behind an idea and solve a situation rather than blame or fight with others. It's a great lesson / article that our leaders should learn, but I'm afraid that they have their heads stuck up the way up their ass and won't find the time to read the article.

Here's part of Cameron's speech from Number 10 this morning about the riots across London. Like him or not, its a pretty direct speech that gets right to the point and states solutions that the government is doing to fix the situation.  You would never hear this from any of our "leadership" - we would somehow figure out how to blame Bush first, then complain about Tax cuts before getting to the real issue. I love how he ends it ... "now if you excuse me, we have work to do"  ... not, later bitches, we're on vacation ... or ... POTUS will not take questions after the press conference.


"And I have this very clear message to those people who are responsible for this wrongdoing and criminality: you will feel the full force of the law and if you are old enough to commit these crimes you are old enough to face the punishment.

"And to these people I would say this: you are not only wrecking the lives of others, you're not only wrecking your own communities - you are potentially wrecking your own life too.

"My office this morning has spoken to the Speaker of the House of Commons and he has agreed that Parliament will be recalled for a day on Thursday so I can make a statement to Parliament and we can hold a debate and we are all able to stand together in condemnation of these crimes and also to stand together in determination to rebuild these communities.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, there is important work to be done. Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment