Thursday, January 13, 2011

That was crazy, dangerous and stupid ... but awesome

After three days of wanting to go for a spin in the ice, I finally bit the bullet and took Wolfey out for a ride. Granted, the ice was supposed to be better this morning, but I tell you, its not. Probably the case on the major roads, but on the side roads in the Highlands and around Emory, not so much.

In order to prepare for the drive, I had to dress warmly and properly because the WC is 10 F and the air temperature was 20 F. I say I dressed like I was skiing, a friend called it some sort of Navy SEAL winter assault outfit. I say skiing, but I could see her point because I was dressed head to toe in black Nike and North Face.

I drove from my home all the way to Clifton Road and Emory Hospital -- about three miles. The journey ... was amazing. During the beginning of the ride, Wolfey was actually going sideways down Rock Springs drive. I actually passed a BMW X5 as we were both going sideways down the road. I was able to stop ... she hit a concrete barrier in the middle of the road. Regardless, nothing raises the hairs on the back of your neck like passing another car while going sideways. Some say that's a bad thing ... I found it exhilarating. After about 30 minutes, I finally made it to the hospital. 3 miles in 30 minutes ... I should have just jogged.

While the ride to the hospital was fun, the return journey was even more fun. After leaving the hospital, I passed the CDC and proceeded to slide down a giant hill passing abandoned cars in the middle, left and right hand side of the road. After a few mins of struggling, I made it to the top of the hill, only to get stuck behind an Ambulance spinning around and stuck on ice. It was at this moment that I realized that no one should be driving around on theses roads ... especially me. Let's be honest, I'm a decent driver with other people in a car and a horrible driver by myself because I believe in one thing. Go Fast, then go faster.

So, what did I learn from my driving experience in Snowmageddenon ... next year, I'm buying an SUV so I can take others on the adventure with me. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment