Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Day 1/2 Marathon

I've been rambling about it for some time, but I thought, what better way to kick off Thanksgiving than running for two plus hours. Of course, I could always train better and finish in under two hours, but why cut the time when your having fun.

I ended up running the race with Hurricane Trisha and my father joined us to run the 5K. As usual, we arrived at Turner Field a bit too early and ended up standing around a bit and people watching. I was amazing at how anxious everyone was about the race and "how they were going to do." It was actually pretty funny but I guess I see things differently having actually played a real sport and know that winning isn't about where you finish, but how you enjoy the experience. Course, I also believe if you ain't first, your last ... but not when it comes to "fun" sports. Anywhoo ... here's a fun play-by-play:
  • Pre-race: Hurricane Trisha (HT cause I'm tired of typing) and I didn't have numbers in the same corral so she started up front and agreed to run around a 12 minute mile pace until I caught up with her and we'd run the rest of the race together. I thought, I'm going to be around 10 minute miles so it will only take a mile or two before we catch up.
  • Race begins: It's foggy, kinda chilly and misting -- actually great weather for running. I feel great and have what I think is an amazing iTunes mix so I think this is going to be awesome. At this point, I don't even care about the race starting and ending up hill.
  • 1 mile marker: Almost didn't notice it ... was just having fun and realized I ran an 8:45 first mile ... this is not good news. Need to slow down ... oh and no sign of HT.
  • 2 mile marker: So far, its a nice run through the city. I'm running with a group of 5 sisters who are running their first 1/2 marathon with their mom. Really entertaining family and the bevy of Drake and Kings of Leon from the Nano helps me slow down a bit to a 9 minute mile. Pass my office building and Centennial Park ... so far, so good.
  • 3.2 mile marker: Still no HT and I just ran a 5K in 27 minutes ... this should be good news but I know its not. First off, how have I not run into her and second off, I'm way ahead of pace and know this will not end well.
  • 4 mile marker: At the 4 mile port-0-potty marker, I finally run into HT. She claims to have been running a 12 minute mile which clearly was not the case. It's funny for a second but then I realize that I'm not going to survive at this pace. Start back on pace running behind a platoon of soldiers from the 10th Mountain Division.
  • 5 mile marker: Pass the soldiers, run through Atlanta Station and across 17th street into lower midtown. Still going strong but starting to feel a bit wobley. Pretty sure there is not a prayer I'm running whole thing. The previous two weeks of travel, late hours and stress are cutting into my pace ... starting to slow down but still enjoying the moment.
  • 6.2 mile marker: 10K complete and entering Piedmont Park. Calves are starting to hurt and I resort to taking some of those gel packs to provide a bit of sugar. Guy next to me claims the gel packs are a "gift from the Gods" ... he seems a bit out of it but I'll take his word for it.
  • 7 mile marker: The fun is momentarily gone and I'm searching for a second wind. Finally stop and start walking up the hills. At this point, the elevation chart the organization committee gave us are a blatant lie and this area is supposed to be flat. US Marine Corp Cadence comes over the iTunes and I pick back up the pace.
  • 8 mile marker: They give us these energy jelly beans that taste a lot like bad tang -- not the best for my new broken tooth (yup, broke another tooth on Monday night.) Lucky for me, I have more of this gel stuff which I'm convinced is full of crack and hydrocodine. Finally, more down hills and we are cruising through lower midtown and into downtown. Sun starts to come out and the number of runners are decreasing.
  • 9 mile marker: I've never been a fan of hills and at this point, I've decided that my next race will be somewhere flat, like Orlando. I've also realized that I'm approaching the second hour of the run and my iTunes mix is complete crap. I peaked way too early and now the mix is poor ... considering starting over.
  • 10 mile marker: We stop to take a picture at the mile marker ... someone tells us the rest of the race is downhill and both of us are filled with joy. We know the elevation chart says otherwise, but it has been wrong the whole time so we are optimistic. Both of us are starting to experience some cramps, but we aren't worried ... gel packs to the rescue!
  • 11 mile marker: At this point, my calves are gone and now my hamstrings are starting to call the brain and complain. Guy next to me is bleeding profusely out of his nipples -- guess he didn't get the memo on band aids. I restart the Nano and have faith that the end is near.
  • 12 mile marker: Some sick SOB thought it would be cool to have hills at the end. Personally, I think he should have installed moving sidewalks as well ... I gave HT a pep talk that consisted of we have 1.1 miles to go ... we can't quit or else everyone that sucks wins. We carry on ...
  • Finish line: Finally ... the finish line and it was down hill. Yay! Race is over and despite some poor pacing and a crappy second half of an iTunes mix, race was amazing. They immediately put a medal around my neck (which I still have on) and drape me in some awesome aluminum bag to keep warm. I feel like I'm an astronaut ... and no, I'm not sure why. We also get some vanilla cookies which tasted like pure heaven. I slowly ramble over to the X Family meeting section (X marks the spot and you tell me a non Hispanic family name that starts with X) meet Grumpy and decide that its time to lay on the ground for a few minutes.
Despite a few setbacks, the race was amazing. I can't think of a better way to spend Thanksgiving morning than with 20K other people running through the streets of Atlanta. Aside from the hills, this was my favorite half marathon and looking forward to running another one soon.

A special thanks to HT and Grumpy for joining me in the race. I also have to thank a few of you who were the inspiration behind the training and pushing to run the race. Since I decided on August 31 to do the race, I've lost 20 pounds, dropped a couple of sizes of clothes and feel like I have a new view on life. Granted, there are other things that have helped, but on this Thanksgiving, I give thanks to those that helped inspire me to "get it done" ... even if some of the influences were negative.

Happy Thanksgiving!





No comments:

Post a Comment