Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Going left doesn't mean things are better

HA ... you thought that was a political comment, but its not.  I'm referring to the Left Coast where I spent the last 4 days.  I'm not going to say this was the best trip of my life because ... it wasn't. In fact, I'd have to admit that this trip ranks up there with one of the more disappointing (from a fun perspective) trips in my life.  Granted, I was out there for work, but I was hoping that I could mix in a bit of fun.  Some of the "low" lights:
  • Bugs like me ... in two cases, I had a bug in my beer. Yeah, I'm sure they add protein, but that's something I reserve for saying on a Summer evening at 3 AM when I'm sitting on the porch intoxicated, not indoors at a restaurant 
  • Hair is not a good garnish -- yup, I had a steak that had a really long, nasty, dark hair in it. I still don't feel very well. 
  • When I think of bad traffic, I didn't think of Portland but I will moving forward. One evening, we decided to go to the North Face outlet and a 20 mile drive took 90 minutes.  It was also great to have three back seat drivers in the car making some fun, witty remarks the whole way. Sure am glad I learned patience when I moved to Europe or there would be a few co-workers hitch hiking back to their hotel in Portland. 
  • Rain -- I was expecting rain, but not expecting the bulk of it to occur during our event.  Nothing says super fun like working outdoors in the rain. 
  • Sat Nav and Verizon -- neither seem to work in Portland ... especially Verizon. In fact, my Droid not-Incredible decided to delete my address book again ... for the last time.  It almost has a horrible accident in the ATL airport but fortunately, I realized that you can't return a phone in pieces.  Bring on the Samsung INSERT RIDICULOUS PRODUCT NAME that arrives tomorrow. New phones mean lots of fun! 
  • US Women's National Team -- they were staying in our hotel and we saw Abby Wambach hanging out in the lobby. Also saw Alex Morgan ... Yeah, nothing really to say there other than we saw them ... pretty sure they were making a trip to Nike.
  • Speaking of Left -- saw James Carville on ABC this morning talking up how the White House should panic ... he job hunting or what?
  • And to stay political -- nice press conference anointed one. I watched it on the plane and all I could do is think, "phenomenal leadership."  Let's create a larger divide amongst the people because that's how you create compromise -- through huge gaping gaps. I'm starting to think the administration wants open revolt in the streets? But don't get me wrong, the Republicans are idiots too. Let's face it, the rich can pay more money but there are more clever, creative ways to get their money that Obama trying to force it on them. This really feels like Forced Healthcare Debacle Part Deux.  Does he really think his Bilderberg friends are going to like this approach?
  • Jet lag -- it sucks ... almost think West Coast jet lag is more miserable than European jet lag.
  • The one positive thing ... the hotel had Transformers 3 on demand ... yeah, that's right. For 3 hours I was able to escape and enter a world of pure stupidity ... and I quote Optimis Prime, "You may lose faith in us, but never lose faith in yourselves!" .... epic

No comments:

Post a Comment